Plastic is one of the primary sources of pollution. As a steward of the earth, we should take active measures to reduce plastic waste. As the famous line goes, a change should start within ourselves. With the following steps, you can significantly reduce plastic waste in the environment.
· Stop patronizing plastic-wrapped produce – most of the produce sold in the supermarket are wrapped in plastics. Even if you are buying organic food, it would mean nothing if it is wrapped in plastic. A thin film of plastic takes many years to degrade. Some even come with polystyrene trays, which take many years to degrade. These plastic wraps and trays are a burden to the environment. So, instead of patronizing such produce, why don’t you buy straight from your local farmer’s market? That one simple gesture can make a huge difference to the environment.
· Choose loose tea over tea bags – You might think that a tea bag is safe for the environment but the truth is that it comes from a thin layer of polypropylene plastic, which takes time to degrade. If you are a tea drinker, it is best to patronize loose tea over tea bags.
· Ditch plastic straws – If you are used to using plastic straws, then now is the best time to completely eliminate them. Drinking straight from your glass is a simple gesture but does a big thing for the environment. If you are in a fast food chain or restaurant, you can just say no to plastic straws when being offered to.
· Use toothbrushes made from organic materials – toothbrushes are usually made from plastic materials and we need toothbrushes no matter how we look at it. After all, nobody likes to have bad breath. But don’t you know that you can ditch your plastic toothbrush? Change it over to toothbrushes made from organic materials such as bamboo. The bristles would still be made from plastic but at least you are keeping it to a minimum.
· Reuse plastic bottles – Shampoos, laundry detergents, and fabric conditioners usually come in plastic bottles. To avoid putting them into waste, you can reuse them. Just by the refill pack and place them in your old plastic bottles. That way, you can eliminate plastic waste in your household.
· Throw away your coffee cups and use your usual mug/cup – Coffee films have plastic films inside, which take some time to recycle. When taking your usual coffee, ditch the coffee cup and use your usual mug/cup. If you are getting it from a vending machine, it is best to carry with you your mug. This habit may take some time to get used too, especially for coffee drinkers. However, if you want to do something good for the environment, then you should start this habit.
Plastics have been around for some time now and now we are feeling the negative effect on the environment. We can slowly eliminate plastic waste by turning away from materials made from plastic or by simply using plastic materials the smartest way possible such as recycling.